Early mornings are still in the 40’s with afternoon temperatures just below 70 with green dust sprinkled everywhere outside show us that the Spring season is on the way.
With pollen season comes the allergies. Many people are very susceptible to all the triggers with runny nose, sneezing, and congestion. Some may think it is Covid, but it is the season of allergies due to new blooms and the extra pollen in the air.
We have a few preventive things to avoid as much pollen and allergens coming into your home.
- Keep your vehicle in the garage. Keep the windows shut. Every time you get into the vehicle you are allowing pollen inside.
- Wipe your feet off before entering your home. A suggestion would be to take off your shoes before entering the home. Leave slippers by the entrance to wear around the house when pollen is present.
- Wipe off paws before animals enter home. Keep the towel by the door.
- Strip off all clothing before coming indoors if you have been doing yard work to eliminate pollen from entering your home.
- Keep doors and windows closed-even in beautiful weather.
- Change air filters monthly.
This is a great time to do Spring Cleaning by scheduling a thorough Deep Cleaning -top to bottom, left to right until every surface is touched. The deep cleaning will help eliminate the dust that has accumulated over the winter under furniture, in corners, under beds, and under nooks throughout the home that increase allergic reactions. “Dust bunnies” are made of hair, lint, dead skin, animal hair, spider webs, dust, trash, and other debris held together by static electricity. Bugs, parasites, and dust mites can hang out in dust bunnies collecting bacteria that also can be part of allergic reactions this time of year.
We are so excited to see warmer weather in early Spring we like to open the windows or doors. When we do this, soot from outside mixes with decomposing insects and pesticides to aggravate allergies even more.
Ways to eliminate the effects of pollen and dust bunnies:
- Vacuum once or twice a week
- Bath dogs and brush out long hair once a week. Use the hair for a bird collection nest outside.
- Use an air purifier in each room, or particularly in bedroom to reduce dust
Spring is one of the most beautiful times of the year. Blossoms, trees, and wonderful weather. Great time to get outdoors and re-plant from the freeze of February. Change the landscape up to something you enjoy seeing as your approach your home. What your home looks like on the outside is as important as the inside.