Taking time out of your day for cleaning can feel like a chore, but what if you worked some clean habits into your daily routine? You may already practice a few of these tidy home habits, so check out the rest and consider adding a new one to your schedule each day. Before you know it, your home will be noticeably tidy without hours of cleaning.
- Take off your shoes at the door—that means less dirt tracked in to clean up later.
- Remember to put those shoes where they belong too!
- And while you’re getting comfortable, put your dirty clothes where they belong—instead of on the floor or draped over the treadmill…we all do it sometimes.
- Speaking of laundry, go ahead and throw in a load of laundry while you’re doing something else (working out, watching TV, or eating dinner).
- Take 5 minutes to tidy up one room per day—you’ll be surprised how much you can achieve in 5 minutes, and it won’t feel so much like a chore.
- Clean while you cook—or rather, clean up after yourself (put away ingredients as you use them, unload the dishwasher while something simmers, or clear the fridge of spoiled leftovers.)
- Give the kitchen a super quick tidy each evening—sort any clutter that’s accumulated on the counters, wipe them down, and toss used dish towels in a laundry basket.
- Try your best to unload the dishwasher soon after cleaning cycles are complete—this one is really difficult to keep up! But boy, does it pay off…
- So your dishwasher is empty, huh? That means you can rinse your dishes and put them straight into the machine, instead of letting them build up in the sink, smelly and unsanitary.
- Put your appliances to work while you sleep—start the dishwasher if it’s full, and move clean clothes to the dryer before you turn in for the night.
- Have the dishwasher or laundry machine already completed their cycles before your bedtime?—Go ahead and empty them; you’ll thank yourself tomorrow.
- Prep your routine for the next morning—an outfit laid out or briefcase packed tonight, means less scrambling and displaced items in the morning (which you’d have to clean up when you get home!)
- Make your bed when you wake up—it will help you wake up and keep you from getting back under the covers…plus there’s nothing like crawling into a nice, neat bed in the evening.
- Take bedside water glasses with you when you leave the bedroom in the morning—and put them in that dishwasher you’ve been unloading regularly, because you’re a cleaning All-Star!
Have a few cleaning tips of your own? Leave us a comment with your best tips for tidy habits!